WSS Helps 93-Year-Old Navy Veteran whose Home has been Burgled THREE Times in Six MonthsPosted 14th November 2018 by Helen LeachIn October 2018, we received a phone call from Greater Manchester Police appealing for help for 93-year-old Royal Navy veteran, James Gilligan.
James’ home had been broken into three times in the space of just six months.
The first break-in occurred on April 17th – just weeks after James returned home from a five-month stay in hospital. When he crept downstairs to find out what the disturbance was, he cut his feet on broken glass.
Just three days later on April 20th, the home was broken into again. James again was woken up by the disturbance and grabbed his walking stick. This time the intruder was still in the house and James called down to him to ask what he wanted.
“Where’s the money?” the intruder shouted up. Mr Gilligan told the intruder that if he wanted money he’d have to come upstairs. The intruder then fled.
The home was broken into for a third time in the early hours of October 11th.
Describing the disturbance, James said: “I was in bed and I didn’t hear them. The girl next door phoned me and said: “we have just had a burglar and it looks like he’s going to come to yours”.
On all three occasions, the intruders left empty-handed due to the fact James has no cash or valuables store in his home.
“It’s not fair, it’s made me really angry. They didn’t actually take anything – that’s what I don’t understand.”
“I was in hospital for five months and the house was empty and nobody attempted to go in, but the minute I come home they’re smashing my windows and doors. It’s really nasty.”
James has lived in his Rusholme home since the 1940’s. It is the home he shared with his late wife Dorothy and the home they raised their children in.
On discussing his late wife, Mr Gilligan said: “I’m just glad she wasn’t here to see this. I think it would have killed her. We raised a family here. It’s been a very happy house until April.”
Following the break-ins, James has been blocking his bedroom door with a bedding box to block entry from unwanted visitors.
PCSO Mel Smith, who reached out to us initially said: “It’s just a real shame that he has to go through all this at this time in his life. It’s even more upsetting to see when someone is elderly.”
After learning about James’ story, we knew we had to help. We had our security surveyor visit James’ house the next morning to take measurements for window security to be fitted in his home.
James’ story touched the hearts of all of us here at Window Security Solutions and we’re glad we’ve been able to help James. It’s something which is said a lot but every person deserves the right to feel safe and secure in their own home.
If you’ve been the victim of a break-in like James and would like to find out more about the home security options available to you, speak to our helpful team of specialists on 0161 869 6550 or send us an email. Our team is on hand Monday to Friday, 8am till 5pm to offer expert help and advice on all window security needs.
Source: Manchester Evening News.